Marriage License System - Frequently Asked Questions
A certified copy of any marriage license that has been issued by the Broward County Clerk of Courts from 1915 thru the present may be obtained in person at: 201 S.E. 6th Street, Room 270, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. excluding Courthouse holidays.
As an added convenience, a certified copy of any marriage license that was issued by the Broward Clerk of the Courts from 1998 through the present may be obtained from one of the One Stop Satellite Locations in Plantation, Hollywood and Deerfield Beach, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
The information required is:
- The marriage license must have been obtained in Broward County
- Name of both parties (spouse 1 and spouse 2) at the time of the application
- Date of the marriage
- Costs of the copies are $5.00 for the first copy and $3.00 for each additional copy.
*Acceptable forms of payment:
- Checks – Attorney Firm, Personal, Business, Cashiers and Travelers made payable to the Clerk of Courts (mail only)
- Money Orders - Funds drawn on a U.S. bank (in person and by mail)
- Credit Cards – MasterCard and Visa (in person only)
*All locations accept cash, credit cards and money orders only.
Checks and Money Orders (funds drawn on a U.S. bank) should be made payable to the Clerk of Courts in the appropriate amount.
You may obtain a copy through the mail by sending the necessary information to:Marriage Division
201 S.E. 6th Street, Room 270
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Include a stamped self-addressed business envelope. Please allow a minimum of two weeks for a response. If you need further assistance please call: (954) 831-7283.
A marriage license or a Civil Marriage ceremony by the Clerk of Courts Office may be obtained at the following locations:
Main Broward County Courthouse
201 S. E. 6th Street, Room 270
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
North Regional Courthouse
One-Stop Customer Service Division
1600 W. Hillsboro Blvd., Room 160
Deerfield Beach, Florida
West Regional Courthouse
One-Stop Customer Service Division
100 N. Pine Island Road, Room 180
South Regional Courthouse
One-Stop Customer Service Division
3550 Hollywood Blvd., Room 160
Directions to assist you in locating these offices are:
- The Main Broward County Courthouse is located on the corner of S.E. Third Avenue and S. E. Sixth Street. Take Broward Boulevard to S. E. 3rd Avenue; go south on 3rd Avenue to S.E. 6th Street. The Marriage Department is located on the 2nd floor of the Main Broward County Courthouse. Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The North Regional Courthouse is located West of I-95, on Hillsboro Blvd. Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The West Regional Courthouse is located on the Northeast corner of Broward Boulevard and Pine Island Road. Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- The South Regional Courthouse is located on Hollywood Boulevard, West of I-95 on the South side of the road. Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Both parties must apply in person at the same time.
The standard marriage license fee is $93.50 and includes a 3-day waiting period before a marriage ceremony can be performed.
The only exceptions to the 3-day waiting period are:
- If both applicants reside out-of-state and are able to present valid proof of photo identification indicating their out-of-state address at the time of filing the marriage license application. (Please call our office for other acceptable proof.)
- If the applicants present an original pre-marital course completion certificate at the time of filing the marriage license application.
NOTE: If the couple elects the option to attend a pre-marital course from a registered provider, the marriage license fee is lowered to $61.00 and the waiting period is waived upon providing an original certificate of completion at the time of filing the application.
Prior to obtaining a marriage license, both parties must sign an affidavit indicating they have read the Family Law Handbook.
NOTE: Adobe Acrobat Reader Software is required to view the Family Law Handbook.
Click here to download a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. This is a one-time process. Installation and browser configuration instructions are provided by Adobe Acrobat.
A Civil Marriage ceremony can be performed in the Marriage Division after the license is effective for an additional cost of thirty ($30.00) dollars. No witnesses are required for a Civil Marriage ceremony, however they are recommended.
A couple has the option to take a premarital course from a registered course provider. When a pre-marital course certificate is presented at the time of the marriage license application, the fee is reduced to $61.00 and the license is effective the same day as issued.
The optional premarital course may be obtained from a course provider who is registered with the Broward Clerk of Courts.
Visit our Premarital Course Provider Search to locate a register premarital course provider near you.
Fees are payable by cash, cashier’s check, or money order. Make payable to the Clerk of Courts. No business or personal checks will be accepted. Visa and MasterCard credit cards are also accepted at all locations.
The form of identification required is a valid photo identification issued by the federal or state government. The photo identification must have the correct legal name, date of birth and signature of the applicant.
The following types of photo identifications are accepted:
- Driver's License (U.S. State or Government)
- U.S. Military identification
- State Identification Card (U.S. State or Government)
- Alien Registration Card
In accordance with Florida State Statute, any person who has been issued a Social Security number shall provide that number. Any person who is not a citizen of the U.S. may provide either a Social Security number or an Alien Registration number, if one has been issued. If neither has been issued, another form of ID may be required.
Applicants will be required to provide one stamped, self-addressed business size envelope for the return of their certified copy after the certificate has been recorded. This may be purchased at the marriage counter for $1.00.
There are no blood tests required.
You do not need to be a resident of this county or the State of Florida to obtain a Marriage license. Marriage licenses are for use within the State for sixty-60 days from the date of issue.
If previously married, the exact date of death, divorce or annulment of the last marriage is required.
Per Senate Bill 694, all applicants must complete the form titled STATE OF FLORIDA AFFIRMATION OF COMMON CHILD/CHILDREN BORN IN FLORIDA. The information required to complete this form is the name, date of birth, birth certificate number (if known), and place of birth for each child the applicant(s) is the parent of.
Any applicant under the age of eighteen (18) must have the consent of both parents or guardian. If custody of such minor has been granted to one parent, original proof must be provided. You may obtain consent forms from this office. If one parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate is required. Proof of age and parents identity is required. This may be done with a certified copy of the person’s birth certificate. If the parent's names do not match, additional proof may be required.
ALL UNDERAGE APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED AT THE BROWARD COUNTY COURTHOUSE IN FORT LAUDERDALE, ROOM 270.
A Civil Marriage ceremony can be performed in the Marriage Division after the license is effective for an additional cost of $30.00.
Witnesses are not required for a civil marriage ceremony, but are recommended.
A legally married couple may renew their wedding vows in the Marriage Division or at a One Stop Division location. An original, certified copy of your marriage license is required. The cost for a civil ceremony is $30.00.
Click here to view information on how to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license.
Click here to view the Premarital Course Provider Registry.
Yes, you can search for your Marriage License on-line by selecting Marriage License/Application Search. If you are unable to locate your license, please contact our office at 954-831-7283 or visit one of our locations for further assistance.
For additional information regarding Florida State Statute 119.071, click on the following link. http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes
No, if you are legally married in another state/country you cannot get married in Florida.